“A Project is afoot to lay out a magnificent golf course north of New York Avenue and build upon those links a fine club house” J. B. Coulston, February 16, 1911 The 134 acres covered by the parcels purchased were inhabited by coyotes and rabbits, scurrying amongst the sage and cactus and hunted from time to time for sport.  It was where the water poured down from Rubio Canyon and was known as the Rubio Wash.  The golf course built on such a surface provided superb drainage with stakeholders proclaiming it could rain cats and dogs in the morning and be played perfectly well in the afternoon.   “An added advantage is the altitude, which would give the links high, pure air.” J. B. Coulston February 16, 1911 The course was designed and built under the guiding hand of William Watson.  6,566 yards long with larger than average greens of 80 feet composed of oil and sand.  Fairways were dirt and tamped with oil and flattened like “the best of roads” with local flora dotting the rough alongside them.  Not many southern California golf courses had grass before 1920 and until Francis Ouimet wins the U. S. Open in 1913, golf is not very popular and only a few courses and clubs exist.  Altadena will be seeded with bermuda, clover and alfilaria on 12 of her fairways by 1914 after 11 inches of rain fell in four days in February. So much rain fell that Huntington Drive held 5 feet of water and Fair Oaks became a torrent that hurled boulders through storefront windows.  Piping was installed on the course to keep it green year round and water supply was abundant enough to install several grass putting greens, in vogue on eastern courses at the time.     ALMA WHITAKER. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File); Dec 24, 1911; ProQuest Historical Newspapers Los Angeles Times (1881 – 1986) pg. IV7