In March of 1920, leaders of the Altadena Country Club decided investment in a re-design of the course was necessary and asked George O’Neille and Jack Croke to lead the effort. They hired William P. Bell to assist with designing and constructing the new layout. Bell had worked with Watson on the original layout and by this time had invented his revolutionary “traveling sprinkler” which allowed for more precise irrigation of the course.
It is planned at this time to build a total of three separate 18 hole courses in hopes of making Altadena the “Pinehurst of the West”. The course is at its peak nationally from now until the mid-twenties and top pros from all over are playing sanctioned tournaments on the slopes of Altadena on the Pasadena Golf Club’s 18 hole course.
Details of the re-design and new layout