After the fierce storm of February 18-21 of 1914, Willie Watson was asked by the governing board of the club to introduce Bermuda, Clover and Alfilaria (pin grass) throughout the course. By October, 14 of the 18 greens had been converted to grass and water pipes were lain throughout the course for irrigation during the summer months and year round.